Saturday, October 17, 2009

Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

Neutral Milk Hotel – On Avery Island
Merge, 1996
Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2006
Price: $12

I always feel kind of bad for On Avery Island, as it has the kind of little-brother stature in Neutral Milk Hotel's canon. Granted, they only have on other album, but it's one of the all-time greatest records to ever be released. It's my personal favorite record. So how can On Avery Island ever get anything but “This is great, but it's not as good as In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.” To it's credit, the songs on this record all standalone much better. They're easier to put on mixes and play on the radio. Mostly this is sort of a curiosity or an afterthought, I think. When someone needs a break from Aeroplane. There's so much going on though! Think, if this had been their only album it would be a sort of masterpiece, probably. Actually, listening to it right now, and listening to it as a stepping stone to Aeroplane I see why it has to live in the shadow. It's genius though. “Song Against Sex,” “Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone,” and “Naomi” get me every time, as does the rest of the record which DOES flow really well together, like perfectly. I look at it like the way I think people look at it. It loses credibility for not being absolutely perfect, even though it's a five star record. Regardless, I listen to this one a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment