Friday, July 10, 2015

Crawlspace - "Solitude Smokestack Head" 7"

Crawlspace – “Solitude Smokestack Head” 7”
Sympathy for the Record Industry, 1990
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $.25
If you’re a band and you want to get on my bad side, make deciphering the band name/song title/album title as difficult as possible. Couple that with a lack of clarity as to which side is which and I will hate you forever. There is no need to be this willfully opaque goddamnit! This 7” has resided in the S section of my 45s for years and now I see that it should be in the Cs. I suppose the LEGALIZE illustration on the inside sleeve has something to do with it. I digress. The music has grunge/protogrunge leanings (this is 1990 after all) but mostly plays like a darker iteration of college rock. B-side “Ocean = You” is the more interesting track of the pair and builds some severe moodiness. I dig it, and it’s almost enough to forgive the band for RUINING THE PERFECT ALPHABETIZATION OF MY RECORDS!


No comments:

Post a Comment