Tuesday, February 8, 2022

1001 Albums: #39 - Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Impulse!, 1963


Welcome to the latest installment of "Jazz is None of My Business," I'm your host, Ian, a sheltered indie rock kid who approaches these wild jazz records with a real sense of awe and wonder but zero context. The write-up in the book has a great opening line: "Start with the liner notes, which were penned by Charles Mingus' psychologist, and it is clear that this is no typical modern jazz album." I threw this on at top volume while cooking dinner and subsequently doing the dishes to avoid a particularly scream-happy pair of children and simply replaced one cacophony for another (though Mingus' had a bit more order to the 3 and 7 year old arguing over which Netflix show to watch...). This is my first real run through the jazz greats outside of Coltrane, and while it is entirely out of my comfort zone as a music listener, I get pumped every time I see Mingus or Monk or Miles pop up in the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment