Tuesday, November 19, 2019

#43 - Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy

Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Mello Music Group, 2014
During my radio days I tried very hard to add hip-hop to my regular music diet, but in the end I only felt like a poser. I should preface that by saying the very first piece of physical music media I asked my mom to buy me was the Tag Team “Whoomp! (There it Is)” cassingle from Wal-Mart when I was, what? 8 years old? I had an NWA phase in high school and I was into that less for the gangster attitude than the refreshing storytelling. I gave Kendrick Lamar a shot and really loved Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City and To Pimp a Butterfly is undeniable, but it took a long time to admit that my actual taste is much more safe than I want it to be. I made my peace with that, and it’s a big reason why I can’t call this a Best Of. Because if you’re making a Best Of To Pimp a Butterfly has to be in your Top 5 for its cultural relevance, technical prowess, and brilliant songwriting. This is a long way of me trying to convince you that I get it, it’s just that the rap I listen to on a regular basis is very specific. Open Mike Eagle’s Dark Comedy took my breath away. He’s funny, he has a point of view, and relistening to this now it fills me with so much joy. Eagle’s collaboration with stand-up comic Hannibal Burress–”Doug Stamper (Advice Raps)”--is still one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard. Every line kills. Eagle’s 2017 album Brick Body Kids Still Daydream is probably the better record (and a great one, duh), but this one is always gonna be my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment