Friday, November 15, 2019

#47 - Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See 
Domino, 2011

Never, in my wildest dreams, did I expect I would be an Arctic Monkeys fan. All it took was for Alex Turner to prove to me that he wasn’t just another thin and pasty Pete Doherty knock off with his sublime soundtrack to Richard Ayoade’s 2010 film Submarine. After playing those five songs every day for months on end, I was willing to give the band a shot. I did a feature on this blog where I listened to their albums one by one in an attempt to wonder if the band had always been as good as they were on Suck it and See and if I had good reason to kick myself for writing them off. While each of the three preceding albums has one great song (“When The Sun Goes Down”; “Flourescent Adolescent”; “Cornerstone”), Suck it and See did an inverse in that 11 of the songs were pretty damn good and one was a baffling and unlistenable bit of cock rock (“Brick by Brick”). One dud is easy to overlook on an album laced with righteous rock and roll jams like “Suck it and See,” “She’s Thunderstorms,” “Piledriver Waltz,” and the gorgeous crooned ballad “Love is a Laserquest.” The title track is still one of the only songs I know all the words to and one I will catch myself singing out of nowhere (and has been a nursery rhyme for both Rosie and Goldie). If you told me in 2010 that I would have not one, but two Arctic Monkeys albums on my Top 50 of the Decade list (and one in the honorable mentions) I would think you were out of your damn mind. But here we are. Despite their posturing photo shoots, greasy hair, and pasty skin, I am helpless when it comes to a muscular rock n’ roll hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment