Sunday, December 22, 2019

#10 - Superchunk - Majesty Shredding

Superchunk - Majesty Shredding (2010)
When I heard Majesty Shredding for the first time, I knew it was going to be my album of the year, and thought it could even be the album of the decade. I latched onto this one so hard it hurt. It hurt because I had only gotten into Superchunk a couple years prior. I know, I know, I seem like the kind of indie rock nerd who was mainlining “Slack Motherfucker” in high school, and I would have had I had the good sense to leave my stupid little punk rawk bivouac. Better late than never, I suppose, and man this album just kicks so much ass. It’s one of those perfect records where, after you’ve spent 4 months with it, every song has had a chance to be your favorite songs. It’s why the closer “Everything at Once” was the track that made the cut on my Favorite Songs of 2010. I mean, I don’t know if Jenny knows this but the reason I suggested Rosie was 100% based on the song “Rosemarie.” That Superchunk made this after a 10 year hiatus when most of them were doing general mom and dad stuff is insane to me. This album has more energy than a lot of bands half their age. On top of that, they released two more albums in the 2010's with just as much energy, if not more (I Hate Music (2013)), What a Time to Be Alive (2018)). You put Majesty Shredding up against any other album in their extensive and extensively awesome back catalog and it’s a contender every time.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't find your contact info here, so I'll subscribe to see if you get this message. Otherwise, would love to hear from you via email, as I've found it hard to come by fellow East River Pipe fans!

    rileypatricksf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete