Tuesday, December 3, 2019

#29 - Mixtapes - Ordinary Silence

Mixtapes - Ordinary Silence
No Sleep Records, 2013
Just give me that earnest, full-hearted pop-punk. Ordinary Silence was a Top 5 record for me in 2013 (which, in my humble opinion, was the best year of the decade for music given that 24% of the albums on this list were pulled from 2013), and it got there by virtue of being the album I listened to the most. I feel like this was playing on repeat that summer, and it was playing on repeat because the songs are just so damn catchy. I mean, this album has 14 songs on it, so if I’m this gaga over it it must be good right? One reason this works so well is that Maura Weaver and Ryan Rockwell split their vocal duties in a way that makes this much more dynamic than your average power chords and hooks music. I’m going through this album track by track trying to find a b-side and it’s just, “That’s a good one, that’s a good one, that’s a good one…” Mixtapes have this fighting spirit that is so captivating, and it’s a damn shame they went on hiatus a year after this album was released. I’m here for the next Mixtapes record whenever they want to release it.

No comments:

Post a Comment