Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Wolf Parade – Apologies to the Queen Mary
SubPop, 2005
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $9

Good god, this sounds kind of...primitive. “You are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son” just came on and while I hated that they re-recorded the song for their LP (It had originally been on one of their early Eps), I realize how much better the LP version is. Of all the songs they re-recorded, really. I'm glad they did. But still, Spencer Krug and Dan Boeckner have grown so much over the last five years this sounds like small potatoes. It's still a great record, capturing all of their promise in one neat, tightly compacted ball of indie rock bliss, but what Boeckner has accomplished with Handsome Furs and Krug has accomplished with Sunset Rubdown overshadows this. Even the last Wolf Parade record, At Mount Zoomer, is so much more adventurous now that I think about it. Or maybe I've just listened to this record too much. I can't tell you how many time I've listened to the album's monster jams, “I'll Believe in Anything” and “Shine a Light.” Hundreds, probably. I've heard this record all the way through probably 100 times, which seems like a lot given how I waffle between records with my short attentions span. Mostly, this sounds like an experiment. A few dudes getting together and seeing what happens.

Still one of the better videos of the last decade:

1 comment: