Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Bob Dylan – Nashville Skyline
Columbia, 1969
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2011
Price: $2.50

I don’t think I ever listened to this album all the way through during my Bob Dylan phase a few years back. There was something really abherrent about the croon Dylan adopted for the record. Something like smooth jazz or something. Even “Lay Lady Lay,” the only real moster jam from this record, sounded like shit. And now, a couple years later, I’m changing my tune. It’s not great, but it’s fun and it’s cool to see Dylan’s shapeshifting to avoid being the mouthpiece of anyone’s generation produce listenable results. Well, then there’s Self-Portrait, but this is the last stop before the steam runs out and hey, it’s pretty good. And he got Johnny Cash to sing on a slowed down version of “Girl From the North Country” which is pretty cool! “I Threw it All Away” is an excellent track I would have overlooked had I not given Nashville Skyline a shot, so good for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment