Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Matt Sweeney - Superwolf


Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy and Matt Sweeney – Superwolf
Drag City, 2005
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2012
Price: $5

I don’t know why it’s so easy to forget how fucking beautiful this record is, because I listened to this album like near-infinite times when it came out. I revisit it every year or so and am always astounded by Will Oldham’s songwriting and the tone he and Sweeney strike that sounds separate from either Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy and Chavez. Like a whole new band, born to make one album and why the hell didn’t they just call themselves Superwolf because holy fuck that’s a great name/title. And I can’t remember when I’ve heard guitars this beautiful and epic since this record came out. Like the way they still manage to sound huge despite sounding like all the treble has been sucked out of them in “Goat and Ram.” And that beautiful beautiful picking on “Beast for Thee.” It’s music you’d want playing at your death. Epic and sad and beautiful and ready for the apocalypse. “Only Someone Running” is probably the loveliest song ever. One that defies writing anything about it because well, I just can’t think of any words. I’m speechless! So here’s that song:

Oh yeah, and that video for "I Gave You" with the weird birdy* murdery shit is pretty rad too.

Which Bonny 'Prince' Billy has someone dressed in a bird suit? I forget, I thought it was this one, then I watched this video and was like "Oh yeah, this is the one with the dead body."I still think the world wasn't ready for Will Oldham as an actor, because I swear to god homeboy could take the world by storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment