Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Band - Music From Big Pink

The Band – Music From Big Pink
Capitol, 1968
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2013
Price: $3


The only real relationship I have with the Band is that I too once lived in a big pink house. For two years in Lawrence my WIFI was titled “INTERNET FROM BIG PINK” despite never having listened to this album. Not once. Of course, like all children with fathers who’d come of age in the 70s and felt obligated to play nothing but classic rock radio whenever their children were in the car, I am as familiar as anyone with “The Weight” and “I Shall Be Released,” but that’s as far as I go. This morning I am listening to Music From Big Pink for the first time and I feel like every muscle in my body is relaxing. I don’t think “laid back” is a strong enough descriptor. Sure the music is great, but what really comes through is the fact that these songs were jammed out by a bunch of buddies in a big pink house while they were serving as Bob Dylan’s backing band. The cohesiveness of this album depite its looseness is truly magnificent. The thumbprint of Dylan (and the thumbs up seal of approval) helps but the real winners here are courtesy of The Band. 

Also, the guitar sound on "Lonesome Suzie" is one of the most beautiful things ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment