Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Church - Of Skins and Heart

The Church – Of Skins and Heart

EMI Parlophone, 1981

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008

Price: $8



I should probably let it be known that I bought this album specifically for “The Unguarded Moment,” which, when I saw it was track 3 on this record, I freaked out. It’s easily one of the greatest songs of all time, unarguably good, and a song that has been in stuck in my head since freshman year. That, and the album art is gorgeous. It’s a record I like having, one I’d want to put in a frame or something, it’s beautiful. And on top of the art and “The Unguarded Moment,” the rest of the album is pretty stellar too. Ironically, the record’s first single “She Never Said” is the lamest song on this record, which I have decided has only one lame song, that one. The rest live in this world of burgeoning new wave influence and straight up post punk power-pop jams. Of course, the band is Australian, which I see as something like a seal of approval for power-pop and indie-pop/rock in the 80s. Closers, the upbeat listen-to-on-repeat jam “Fighter Pilot…Korean War” and the somber “Don’t Open the Door to Strangers” is amazing and absolutely makes me want to flip the record over and listen to it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment