Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic

The Exploding Hearts – Guitar Romantic
Kill Shaman/Dirtnap, 2003
Acquired: Christmas Gift, New, 2009
Price: $0

Everyone knows the story of the Exploding Hearts, easily one of the worst tragedies of the 00s. Basically, they put out their debut and everyone loved it because it's just a fucking amazing punk/power-pop record full of swagger and pure bliss. Then all but one of the members were killed when their van flipped on the highway. Every song on this record sounds like a single, and people just don't make records like that, ever. This is special and unique despite being firmly in the pocket of stuff people have done before, notably the Undertones, etc. I don't know what it is, but whenever I hear “Rumours in Town” it sounds like the best song I've ever heard. Honestly, I don't even want to write any more about this because you have A.) Probably already heard it and agree with me in thinking that it's a small, unfuckwithable masterpiece or B.) You haven't heard it, for whatever reason. If you are a member of the latter, I don't care what your taste is, run out and get this right now. Have a friend burn you a copy, whatever, because I think it's hard not to appreciate the raw enthusiasm and sheer love of music that these guys had and spilled all over this record.


For me, "Rumours in Town" is precisely where it's at. It was the MP3 I downloaded years and years ago when this record came out that convinced me to pick it up. Hopefully it does the same for you (again, assuming you haven't heard this little gem)! Lissen!

2 comments: