Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Castanets - "Strong Animal" 7"

Castanets – “Strong Animal” 7”
Asthmatic Kitty, 2007
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008
Price: $1


Man oh man, I forgot how much I dislike Rafter (I vaguely remember him in a chicken suit on an album cover and just being totally let down when the music was just kinda eh whatever), who takes what was probably a perfectly decent psych-folk track and turns it into a monotonous slog where nothing interesting happens at all. I am wary of remixes. I don’t trust them on principle. I’m old fashioned like that. But paired with the straight forward but pretty good B-side “Golden,” well, I’m bummed. This could have been a nice little record but they went and put video game loading screen music on the A-side. I feel like there are a couple of Castanets songs I really liked over the last five or eight years, but I feel like Ray Raposa just got lost in that wave of freak folk that rolled in and crested in like 2005 and then got washed back out to sea. 

Here's the original "Strong Animal," which is much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment