Monday, March 11, 2013

Loudon Wainwright III - I'm Alright

Loudon Wainwright III – I’m Alright
Rounder, 1985
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2013
Price: $1.50
 
I don’t know why the other Loudon Wainwright III album I grabbed from the stack of them at work was this one. Someone brought in his whole discography, and I picked two albums 13 years apart. And I think I did it because I’d recognized the song title “One Man Guy.” I can’t remember if I’d ever heard the song, but it was good enough for me. And Jesus F Christ has a song. Just bare bones guitar and like crippling honesty in relation to ego. And that’s the first song so it’s a promising start,  but also of course none of the rest of the album is as good as that track. There are highlights like “Screaming Issue” and the silly songs like “Cardboard Boxes” (which, if you know me, you know I’m constantly collecting songs about the agony of moving for the mix I play whenever I have to move) are clever enough. But there’s just not enough substance here. The second half is kind of a wash of blues/bluegrass/country-tinge (although “Out of this World” is pretty good) but man, “One Man Guy” sure is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment