Thursday, November 7, 2013

June of 44 - "Southeast of Boston" 7"

June of 44 – “Southeast of Boston” 7”
Quarterstick, 1999
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2012
Price: $1
 
A couple years ago, I dove headfirst into Spiderland. Slint was always one of those bands that resided on a pedestal in my little college rock world, and that album smashed open a whole new side of my musical palate. Post-rock and math rock were added to the genres I understood and appreciated when I’d previously scoffed at their lack of vocals, the angular guitar patterns, and the odd time signatures (scratch that, I don’t know the first thing about time signatures, only that odd ones play a part in math rock and I mostly just pretend I know the difference between 5/4 and 9/16 or whatever). With Slint came a slew of bands cut from that same angular cloth: Rodan, the For Carnation, Rex, and notably, June of 44 whose LP Engine Takes to Water sort of took up the mantle after I’d played Spiderland to death. I loved the murky complexity of the music. It was a polar opposite of the indie pop I had been voraciously consuming for the two years prior. “Southeast of Boston” is culled from the group’s final album Anahata and is a quiet, pensive little number that stands in stark contrast with the b-side: a propulsive live version of Four Great Points’ “Dexterity of Luck.” It’s a nice contrast that illustrates two sides of one of the great unsung indie bands of the 90s.

"Southeast of Boston"

No comments:

Post a Comment