Friday, June 19, 2015

The Like Young - The Timid EP

The Like Young – The Timid EP
Polyvinyl, 2005
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2015
Price: $1
I know the Like Young best from a terrific little EP they released in the mid-00s called Six at Midnight. They covered doo wop and soul songs from the 50s and 60s and by golly if it wasn’t fantastic! Especially then, during my deep twee years. I don’t remember if I ever heard any of their original music, but my affinity for that covers EP was enough to take a flier on this 7”. It’s some wonderful, synth-assisted indie pop with dual boy/girl vocals with a sound reminiscent of the pure, unapologetic pop of Ozma or Wolfie.  AND DAMNIT IF THE LIKE YOUNG ISN’T COMPRISED OF FORMER MEMBERS OF WOLFIE!! I think I knew that, somewhere deep in the swamp of my music knowledge. Wolfie was one of my favorite indie pop bands back in the day and I loved them for the fierceness they brought to a genre often bogged down by overbearing preciousness. The Like Young harness that same fiery energy and while their music is sweet and a little adorable, there’s also a little edge. Not a lot of edge, but a little to offset the tweeness. Like many married couple bands, the Like Young dissolved along with Amanda and Joe Ziemba’s marriage, which is a bummer because man they made some sweet, sweet music together. 

"I've Been Used"

No comments:

Post a Comment