Friday, December 6, 2019

#26 - Mark Mulcahy - Dear Mark J. Mulcahy, I Love You

Mark Mulcahy - Dear Mark J. Mulcahy, I Love You
Mezzotint, 2013
I was a big The Adventures of Pete & Pete fan when I was a kid, so I was aware of Polaris, but the idea that I would be fawning over the singer’s solo album 20 years later is one of those weird unfathomable serendipities that just happens. Despite hosting Alternative Flashback at KJHK for a semester, I didn’t know of Miracle Legion until listening to this album, which should have disqualified me from that job. Better late than never, I suppose, and this album opened me up to a whole wide world of A+ college rock. I might have already mentioned this on this list, but one of the most fun things about being a music fan is the weird circuitous way you go about finding new music. You’re essentially stumbling through the dark with your hands out and when you find magic, it’s like nothing else in the world. And it’s repeatable. It’s not like you find that one song and it’s all over, there’s a whole world of stuff out there to explore. An infinite number of rabbit holes to go down and obsess inside of. 

I came to Dear Mark J. Mulcahy, I Love You after reading about the tribute album that was coming out in his honor to raise money for his family after his wife’s death. So I expected this album to be mournful, but it’s surprisingly joyful and full of swagger. And then you get to “The Rabbit” and you feel your whole body seize up. It’s one of the most stunningly beautiful songs I’ve ever heard and a big reason why this one ranks so high.

No comments:

Post a Comment