Sunday, December 1, 2019

#31 - The Menzingers - After the Party

The Menzingers - After the Party
Epitaph, 2017
On my library staff account I have an unfinished list called “Fist Pumping Anthem Music” that’s just this, Japandroids, and the Hold Steady. I have a lot of barely there lists that sound fun in my head but we just don’t have enough in the catalog to support it. But it’s there because if you put a gun to my head this is my favorite kind of music. Sing-a-long punk-tinged power-pop with big guitars and bigger hooks. The band first caught my attention with their very good 2014 album Rented World, and I feel like After the Party fulfills the promise you can hear on that album. Honestly the only issue I have with it, and the reason it’s not in the Top 20 is because it’s about 3 songs too long. Not that there are any real weak links here, it’s just when you’re getting into this kind of anthem rock the albums have to make you want to immediately throw them on again. You want them to leave you a little hungry, and this one doesn’t do that. But the first four songs are all unbeatable, and even though the album is damn long, the back half has all-timers like “Your Wild Years” and the title track. The real killer here though is “Lookers,” which if you don’t know what to do with that I don’t know how to help you. That’s a perfect song if there ever was one.

No comments:

Post a Comment