Wednesday, February 9, 2022

1001 Albums: #44 - Solomon Burke - Rock n' Soul

Solomon Burke - Rock n' Soul
Atlantic, 1964


"Cry to Me" is my wife's favorite song, and for that reason the incredibly ratty and scratched Solomon Burke greatest hits album in my record collection is on the DO NOT PURGE list. That said, I'd only purge it due to the poor quality of the physical media, because the record itself is can't miss. It just doesn't get much better than Solomon Burke on this record. It's what you think of when you think about soul, and if Aretha is the queen, maybe Solomon is the king (I'm sure that reads as shots fired in some circles, but Burke does namedrop Sam Cooke and Ray Charles on "Can't Nobody Love You" so maybe it's more like, what, a panel of Kings? A committe?). 

Now listen
Sam bought you cake and ice cream
And he called you cherry pie
Ray Charles called you his sunshine
But you never mind

I love it. I could listen to this all day and will certainly be adding this to the dinnertime rotation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment