Thursday, February 10, 2022

1001 Albums: #48 - Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
Phillips, 1965


I'm starting to feel like the 1960s just got the live album. Listening to another live album that feels like the most exemplary offering from an artist (see previously: Sam Cooke, James Brown), it took me back to my high school days listening to Blink-182's Live album The Mark, Tom, and Travis Tour. I only bring up Blink-182 because Jerry Lee Lewis' rawness here feels on par with the dick and fart jokes of the Blink boys (I attended the KC show on that tour and it remains one of the defining moments of my life). The book rightly points out how the band can barely keep up with Jerry here, and there's a lightning-in-a-bottle energy here that you can't deny (despite being able to deny Jerry Lee Lewis in the "marrying his 13 year old cousin" part of his life, Jesus). Weirdly, he sells "Your Cheating Heart" better than Buck Owens probably could. 




No comments:

Post a Comment