Friday, February 19, 2010

Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

Yo La Tengo – I Am Not Afraid of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
Matador, 2006
Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2006
Price: $20

Despite coming out four years ago, this record looks, feels, and sounds like something from Yo La Tengo's heyday in the mid 90s. Or maybe their heyday never ended and it's an ongoing process. Last year's Popular Songs proved this. I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass, which is maybe one of the best album titles ever, starts with a repetitive, krauty 10 minute jam that recalls a band of twentysomethings, not fortysomethings. I guess if you're young at heart, right? Anyway, I often think this record is way too long but all of the songs are good so I can't gripe too much. It's got the badass noise-rock jams, goofy perfect pop like “Beanbag Chair” and just plain goofy like “Mr. Tough” yet these songs are infinitly listenable. There's the sweet sensitive stuff, like the gorgeous “Black Flowers” and classic sad stuff like the Georgia sung “I Feel Like Going Home.” There's sexy jams like “The Room Got Heavy” and well, that's the first half of the album. The second half is where I kind of stop paying attention, but I think I'll just leave the second disc on the turntable for a while and listen to it until the record gets rounded out. Same thing happened with Wilco's Being There, in which the second disco worked its way into my heart a good couple of years after the first blew my mind. But yeah, there's so much going on here and so much diversity that it's hard to call this anything but real fuckin' good.

Cool acoustic vid of "Pass the Hatchet I Think I'm Goodkind"

No comments:

Post a Comment