Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yo La Tengo - New Wave Hot Dogs

Yo La Tengo – New Wave Hot Dogs
Coyote/Twintone, 1987
Acquired: Uncommon Objects, Austin, TX, Used, 2008
Price: $25

I didn't know if this was worth $25 but didn't want to take the chance that I was missing out on a steal. I think $25 is a damn good price for Yo La Tengo's second full length. And record geek bullshit aside, it's a damn good record! Jangly, almost slightly twangy Ira & co. with a lot of punk spirit! Lots of noisy guitar solo breakdowns that would become subdued on later records and then return in full force. Although I guess you could argue that the noisy guitar freakouts are a YLT staple and that they never left. I just saw them at the Granada a few weeks ago and the guitar freakouts were rampant to the point of near annoyance. This record is pre-McNew on bass and slightly ballsier. AND Chris FUCKING Stamey plays guitar on the track “No Water,” which was probably pretty rad for them. It's a pretty noise-rocky effort with hints of the tenderness (see: the standout, and slightly alt-country tinged “Lost in Bessemer”) that would eventually shape such masterpieces as I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out.


Here's "Did I Tell You," which I'm pretty sure they played at the Granada last month!

No comments:

Post a Comment