Monday, September 30, 2013

Hornet Leg - Blood Trilogy 7"

Hornet Leg – Blood Trilogy 7”
K Records, 2008
Acquired: KJHK Music Staff, New, 2008
Price: $0

At least I’m pretty sure I got this one at music staff. Otherwise, I don’t know where the heck it came from since I only ever ordered LPs by bands I loved via K Records mail order. As the title suggests, all three songs on this 7” have blood in the song titles and blood in the lyrics. The music is pretty routine mid-fi garage rock and nothing to write home about. It’s just the sort of ubiquitous indie rock K Records has been releasing without filter for a while now and while there’s nothing wrong with the music, Hornet Leg does little to differentiate itself from the rest of that garage rock revival pack that roamed the college radio airwaves in the late 00s (and really, continues to roam the airwaves to this day because it seems like everyone and his mom is in a garage band). Of the three tracks, "Covered in Blood" is the most effective. There's something about that wailing chorus that I really dig. Depsite all of the quasi-hate I harbor for the garage rock revival, I'll admit a lot of it is plainly satisfying. Plus I can never truly legitimize my hate because garage rockers usually churn out songs that clock in around the two-minute mark and it's really hard to stay mad at a band that keeps 'em short and simple.

"Covered in Blood" 

No comments:

Post a Comment