Monday, March 15, 2010

Various Artists - Lonely is an Eyesore

Various Artists – Lonely is an Eyesore
4AD, 1987
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $6

I don't know what compelled me to buy this. Probably the 4AD logo on the back. However, the label has grown significantly since 1987, notably growing into my comfort zone. Gothy, post-punky, dreamy weirdness isn't necessarily where I live. I do like the Cocteau Twins, though, but I hate Dead Can Dance. My layman's description of this would be that it sounds like Joy Division without the awesome beats and basslines and like the Cure without hooks. Like if every song was the verse for “Let's Go to Bed”...or maybe just this creepy Wolfgang Press song. I am digging all the drum machines, though. Apparently this album came in a “wooden box” limited edition, which featured the recording on LP, CD, cassette and VHS, which is kind of neat, and would be neater if this compilation was more substantial. The Throwing Muses song is kind of a jam, though. I REALLY dislike Dead Can Dance, all that weird gothic wailing just sounds like mush to me. I feel like I should be wearing a cape once I get to the end of side two. And that I should have fangs, and be standing on a spire in a thunderstorm, watching a horsedrawn carriage riding off into the storm.

How strange! Both of the comps covered so far have a song called "Fish" on them! Here's Throwing Muses' "Fish."

No comments:

Post a Comment