Friday, March 26, 2010

Various Artists - Rock Stars Kill

Various Artists – Rock Stars Kill
Kill Rock Stars, 1994
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $6

What is it with all these early 90s bands trying to sound like they're playing at 45 speed? The first song, by the aptly titled Tourettes, caused me to get up and check to make sure the button wasn't pushed in on the turntable. Now, this comp has a very strange and very awesome mix of bands. There's Japanese noise-weirdos Boredoms, Kim Gordon's side-project Free Kitten, indie-pop darlings Helium, Smog, Spinanes, fucking RANCID, and Kathleen Hanna doing a song for Evan Dando. It's all too thrashy for my tastes though. I mean, I can't imagine listening to this thing all the way through very often, other than for a few of the choice cuts here. Mostly, at least for me, it's more of a document of a time and place where everything was excited and noisy and full of energy and kind of sounded the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment