Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Korea Girl - "Reunion" 7"

Korea Girl – “Reunion” 7”
Asian Man Records, 1997
Acquired: Asian Man Records Mail Order, New, 2002
Price: ~$.50
 

I don’t know why I always think any Asian Man Records release I put on my turntable is going to be ska punk. Though AMR released a bunch of ska-punk in the 90s (great ska punk, I might add, because I’m assuming you thought it didn’t exist), they also gave shelter to a burgeoning Alkaline Trio and more recently Laura Stevenson & the Cans, Lemuria, and Dog Party. Socially conscious punk rock for the win. Korea Girl offer up more of a understated, post-grunge, mid 90s indie rock. Their music is pretty, slightly shambling, charming, and melodic. The sides of the records show two different sides of the band. The Elizabeth Yi fronted “Reunion” is all clean guitar and understated melody a la a less twee Softies whereas the Tobin Mori fronted “Launched” is a more propulsive indie rock track in the vein of Pavement. Either way, I love this unpretentious mid-90s stuff.

"Reunion"

No comments:

Post a Comment