Friday, April 25, 2014

My Morning Jacket - "Off the Record" 7"


My Morning Jacket – “Off the Record” 7”
ATO, 2006
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2013
Price: $1.50 

I dabbled in My Morning Jacket’s early discography but never got around to their fourth album, Z, thanks to the weird DRM that came with the album. Coupled with the bad reviews, I didn’t even bother (Note: According to Wikipedia, Z actually got very postive reviews so I don’t know what was going on back in 2006 and I flat out shunned this album). A couple years later my friend and fellow DJ Nick Dormer played “Off the Record” for me and I changed my tune. I don’t think I ever got around to listening to Z in its entirety, but the groove of that track and the hook in the chorus got to me real good. It was such a 180 from the atmospheric alt-country/folk I was used to from Jim James & co. There’s almost a reggae vibe to the track despite upstroked guitars being the only vaguely reggae-ish trait. The song is just fucking smooth as hell. The b-side “How Could I Know” sounds a lot more like the My Morning Jacket I know. It’s gorgeous and an excellent pairing with the more adventurous single on the A-side. My Morning Jacket is one of those bands I keep meaning to get into. I have all their albums on the hard drive and I know for a fact that I really like their album It Still Moves and their sound in general, and yet for some reason, I don’t bother. Which is weird, because this stuff is basically what I would call “Bearded Dad Rock.”

"Off the Record"


"How Could I Know"



No comments:

Post a Comment