Tuesday, September 2, 2014

End of G Through R

It has been almost exactly a year since I posted one of these. So much has happened! Shortly after the last one I got my transfer back to Kansas, started at a new Half Price Books, had a baby, went on paternity leave, and got a new job that I’m starting at next week. I also reigned in my spending on records. It’s pure good fortune that the Half Price Books in Overland Park doesn’t get nearly as many awesome records as the store in St. Paul (it also helps that I work with a bunch of record collectors who always get to the best stuff before I can even consider dropping coin). Lately though, a guy brought in five loads of astonishingly great stuff and that was the greatest test of my self-control I’ve had in a while. I bought a Pogues record, and a few other things in my tenure, but mostly exercised great restraint. It helps to think of it as an investment. Rosie’s college fund, what have you. Honestly, one of the big reasons I started collecting was to bequeath my children with an excellent record collection. I wasn’t exposed to a lot of music growing up (outside of Patsy Cline and the KC Oldies station Oldies 95, both of which had a profound effect on the way my brain processes music) so I want my kids to have an ocean of great stuff to get lost in. Plus, you know, it’s fun.

Running Total: $3130.75
G thru R = $294.25

New Total = $3425

Now I want to highlight my biggest whiff of 2013: Missing Mikal Cronin's MCII. You would be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable pop record from the last year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment