Monday, September 29, 2014

Slumber Party - Mailorder Freak 7" Singles Club

Slumber Party – Mailorder Freak 7” Singles Club
Kill Rock Stars, 1999
Acquired: Mail Order, New, 2002 (?)
Price: $2?
I know for a fact that this is one of the first seven-inch records that I owned. I also know that I don’t know where the hell it came from. I know mail order was involved, and I am fairly certain that it came free when I ordered something from Kill Rock Stars’ website. I’m thinking it was probably Elliott Smith’s eponymous LP, but don’t quote me on that. Slumber Party’s hazy female-fronted indie pop a la the Aislers Set, a more sedate Black Tambourine, or a less edgy Breeders is right up my alley and I really enjoy the beautiful basicness of these tracks. It’s simple and pretty and not without substance (although there’s not a lot that sticks, there’s something to be said for tracks that are pleasant in the moment). This is the December installment of KRS’s Mailorder Freak 7” Singles Club. Maybe I purchased it as a “Random 7” add-on to my order. I had just started collecting records in the very early 00s and I know the prospect of paying a buck or two for some random single would have appealed to me. Actually, that still appeals to me. Every record label should offer that! What a great way to clean house!

No comments:

Post a Comment