Monday, September 22, 2014

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Music for Pets 7"

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet – Music for Pets 7”
K Records, 1991
Acquired: End of an Ear (Austin, TX), Used, 2008
Price: $3

You’d have to search pretty far and pretty wide to find someone who didn’t at the very least enjoy the surfy, instrumental jams of Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. Music For Pets is particularly enjoyable, mostly because it occasionally throws in ridiculous animal sounds in addition to covers of “The Cat Came Back” and “Baby Elephant Walk.” Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet are probably best known for doing the theme song to the magnificently hilarious Canadian sketch comedy show “Kids in the Hall,” which is probably a big reason why these tunes bring me so much joy. I’m transported to my mid-teen years when Olathe FINALLY got Comedy Central and, while I was mostly just excited to watch “South Park” behind my parents’ backs, I vividly watching the Head Crusher bits late at night and rolling on the floor with laughter. Sometimes music just transports you, and that’s what Shadowy Men on a Planet Does with me. Takes me right back to the development of my absurd sense of humor. These songs aren’t nearly as tight as some of their other work, but again, it’s hard not to enjoy those surfy rhythms and the pure joy woven into the mix.

"Rover & Rusty"

No comments:

Post a Comment