Monday, July 6, 2015

So Many Dynamos - "New Bones" 7"

So Many Dynamos – “New Bones” 7”
Vagrant, 2010
Acquired: KJHK Music Staff, New, 2010
Price: $0
St. Louis’ So Many Dynamos was a band I always heard about (given their relative proximity to the Kansas City Metropolitan Area) but never heard a single one of their songs until just now. The rhythm section of “New Bones” has lingering aspects of mid-00s dance-punk craze which makes it feel ten years old rather than five. It’s like a Tapes n’ Tapes song. I remember that band, I remember liking their music, but I couldn’t tell you for the life of me what a single one of their songs sounds like. “New Bones” just finished and it has already faded from memory. Hang on let me dig around in my desk for the commonplace response to this music: It’s technically fine, these guys know what they’re doing, it’s definitely not a mess, but it lacks the necessary personality to create any sort of engagement outside of Eastern Missouri/Western Illinois. The remix on the b-side replaces the dancey drums with a run-of-the-mill dance beat and I wish they’d just put a stripped-down demo of the track on the b-side instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment