Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Halo Benders - God Don't Make No Junk

The Halo Benders – God Don't Make No Junk
K, 1994
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008
Price: $25



There is a story behind my having possession of the first and third Halo Benders records. One fateful day at Love Garden I noticed The Rebel's Not In sitting in the new used vinyl. And for only $14! “A steal!” I harked. Honestly, I think that's the better record...that is, it has more monster jams per capita. Kelly quickly guided me to the expensive, fancy vinyl behind the counter upon seeing that record in my hands. He pointed out this record and I bought it because I knew that I would just go in and ogle it until someone else bought it and then I'd regret it. This is also why I'm poor. Though The Rebel's Not In is tighter, and features Calvin Johnson and Doug Martsch at their peak of creative collaboration, this one has “Don't Touch My Bikini” and “Snowfall,” which are huge, huge jams. “Canned Oxygen” is pretty rad, as is “Freedom Ride” (for some reason, I don't know why, but I get really into that song). “Don't Touch My Bikini,” though, is probably the first song I would play for someone looking to get into the Halo Benders.

No comments:

Post a Comment