Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hüsker Dü - "Don't Want to Know if You Are Lonely" 12"

Hüsker Dü - “Don't Want to Know If You are Lonely” 12”
Warner Brothers, 1986
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $2



So remember when I said that Bob Mould pretty much wrote all the good songs on New Day Rising (or at least the catchy, memorable ones)? Well, I think this is Grant Hart trying to be Bob Mould and it's pretty much the fucking jam. I love this song so much, it has a whole chorus dedicated to it on the second to last song on the Kite Tails record. One of my ultimate bummer-fuck you songs. The cover of the single features a hopefully tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek note written by someone's lover. It reads “This song reminds me of you! -XOXO.” It's written in cursive, so I think a girl gave it to a guy. Bob Mould's contribution is the 8 minute “All Work and No Play” on the B-side, which is just fine but man, pretty long and listening to it I just wanted it to end so I could hear the live cover of the Beatles “Helter Skelter.” The cover is pretty fucking rad, like five minutes of getting pushed up against a wall (somehow, I see that as a good thing for a band to do). Secures Hart/Mould as the McCartney/Lennon of the 80s, I guess.

1 comment: