Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Amps - Bragging Party 7"

The Amps – Bragging Party 7”
4AD, 1995
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2006
Price: $.25

The Amps are Kim Deal's Breeders side project that sounds pretty much just like the Breeders to the point where the Breeders play Amps songs live. Rightly so, because the Amps one LP, Pacer, is fucking great, and the single “Bragging Party” is the fucking jam. It's a slow burn with a gorgeous, subtle little melody that tends to stick in my head. It's one of those songs I used as a touchstone of mid-90s college rock when I hosted Alternative Flashback on KJ, despite never being able to play this song on the radio. Actually, this 7” is an ex-radio copy, judging by the plain white cover with the hand scrawled “THE AMPS – BRAGGING PARTY DNP.” Why 4AD would have sent out a radio single that was strictly a DNP is beyond me, but I'm not complaining. Actually, the only thing I will complain about is that there's not a sick b-side, but having a righteous jam like “Bragging Party” on two sides of wax ain't nothing to be sad about, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment