Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Ampersands - Annabel Bleach 7"

The Ampersands – Annabel Bleach 7”
Harriet Records, 1996
Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007
Price: $.25

So, this is my favorite 7” and it cost me as much as a handful of Chewy Spree at the grocery store. Well, mostly just for the title track. It's hard to describe why I love it though. It's kind of like my platonic ideal of indie-pop. It sounds like a wimpy Australian guy putting together a brilliant pop song in his bedroom and then getting a few of his friends to help out and form a “band.” There's this organ thing that comes in on the last verse that just destroys me, every single time. Jenny just came home as I was putting this on and I was like “OH WAIT! Listen to this weird organ thing that comes in!” I'm obsessed with that organ part! It's carnival-esque, and you would think it was totally ill-fitting in this sweet little ramshackle pop song but it works so well. The titular Annabel Bleach was a member of the Ampersands fellow Aussies the Cannanes, which appeals to my love of bands who are friends referencing each other. The lyrics are weird and awesome and perfect. Someday, I will be able to share this people in the virtual world, but until then, it remains a secret treasure resigned to mixtapes and guests.

1 comment:

  1. I am currently listening to this song and have to agree that the organ coming in sounds really cool :). Actually, much of their output sounds pretty cool -- quite amazing for a band that, according to their co-founder, played maybe 20 shows before breaking up. I'll direct him your way if you'd like more information (and more tunes!)?

    ReplyDelete