Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Cannanes - A Love Affair With Nature

The Cannanes – A Love Affair With Nature

Self-Released, 1989

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008

Price: $6



Australian indie-pop band that became affiliated with K Records in the 90s. Yes! While reading about the Cannanes on Wikipedia, trying to find the release date of this record I noticed that at some point in their history one of the band members was Annabel Bleach, who I can now assume provided the inspiration for one of my favorite songs/7”s of all time, “Annabel Bleach” by the Ampersands (another Australian indie-pop group). Yes! However, she left the group before this record was released. “Take me to the Hotel Johanna (and Let’s Trash the Joint)” is an awesome little song, as are all of the songs on this record for the most part. It’s making me really happy listening to this, knowing that I own it, and realizing that there was a reason I saw it at Love Garden last year and knew I needed to buy it. And then realizing it’s on white vinyl! I’m sorry, this is how I buy records. I just buy them and sometimes don’t listen to them immediately. This is most of the time. I have this habit of wanting to create a library of things that I want, and when I want them, whenever that happens, I have them. So for this project, of listening to all of my records, this is a wonderful little find. This is something that was just waiting to be dug up, a portrait of the late 80s/early 90s indie-pop/twee-pop scene full of little innovations, minimalist jams, drum machine handclaps on “Nuisance” which are totally awesome, switching between boy vocals and girl vocals from song to song, etc. Thus begins my love affair with the Cannanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment