Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mama Cass - Mama's Big Ones

Mama Cass – Mama’s Big Ones

Dunhill, 1970

Acquired: Gift, Used, 2007

Price: $0



I’m pretty sure Annie gave me this record right before we dated or while we were dating because it has “Make Your Own Kind of Music” on it, and I openly freaked out about how much I loved that song when it was on an episode of “Lost” we were watching when we were maniacally watching “Lost” every day. Groggily rolling out of bed about ten minutes ago, I figured I should put some music on and was really gladdened to find that this was the next up, even though it’s slightly misfiled. Should it be under E for Elliott, probably. Maybe even M for Mama, but for some reason I thought it would be best, or I would be able to find it easier if I filed it under C for Cass. I also think I was drunk when I organized my records, but whatever. Anyway, morning, “Make Your Own Kind of Music” in the morning when I’m groggy reminds me of the scene where Desmond puts the record on in the hatch and goes about his morning routine before the record skips when the plane crashes. And given that Desmond is my absolute FAVORITE character on that fucking show, this song has garnered even more special meaning to me over the years. It’s one of those perfect songs, and for a kid raised on 60s pop, this is right up my alley. I always loved the Mamas and the Papas and I always thought it was strange because in the 90s when I was growing up it would be practically impossible for someone like Mama Cass to become a pop superstar despite how good her voice was just because she was fat. Which SUCKS because her voice is amazing and this record is amazing. It’s putting me in exactly the mood I want to be in, which is the mood to finish two songs I drunkenly and lucidly wrote at about three in the morning and need to hook up all the equipment and just record them. YES I WILL DO THAT I THINK. THANKS MAMA CASS. And “One Way Ticket” is an awesome song about getting the fuck out of some bullshit town. “I’d be happy anyplace but here,” she sings. Goddddd, my sentiments exactly, Mama. Exactly. LOVE YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment