Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bon Iver - Blood Bank

Bon Iver – Blood Bank

Jagjaguar, 2009

Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2009

Price: $10



“Blood Bank” is one of those songs; one of those songs I’m going to carry around with me forever and right now it is even more perfect. I spent winter break listening to the song hoping to get stuck in the snow with someone and then I did. It’s one of the most beautiful love songs I’ve ever heard, capturing all the excitement of meeting someone new and moving on. On our way back from lunch this afternoon it came on KJHK and Jenny and I just had to sit in the car and sing along to it because, well, yeah I put it on a mix CD for her and she loved it. It’s a song to be obsessed with. A song I need to have on vinyl because the warmth of Bon Iver never sounds quite right coming from an MP3 out of a computer speaker. The rest of the EP is lovely and interesting, perfect EP material, lovely b-sides. “Babys” preaches the haunts of summertime, as does “Beach Baby,” where “Woods” is a trademark Bon Iver sad song (sung acapella through a vocoder) about being up in the words and drinking to slow down the time. It’s the perfect record for this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment