Monday, February 16, 2009

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion

Domino, 2009

Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2009

Price: $24


This sounds so much better on vinyl. At least better than the MP3 rip I’ve been listening to for the past couple of months. Everything sounds richer, now, and I kind of wish I was stoned right now because the first time I listened to this record all the way through I was stoned and it was amazing. It was like that song on Feels, “Did You See the Words?” And I saw the words and they were coated in fruit-snack colors, glimmering of sunshine and blues and yellows and oranges. This is a record to get lost in and I get lost in it every time I listen to it. Like when we were all driving to Clinton Lake a couple of weeks ago and Kasey and I were rocking out up front, singing along to all the words we could decipher on that perfect Saturday. This record just came out a month ago and I have already associated so many memories with it. It’s my record of 2009 and I think it’s going to stay that way because I still haven’t completely absorbed it yet and I hope I never will. I hope I still find new things every time I listen to it and I hope my favorite song changes on every listen. Well, actually it might just have to be “Summertime Clothes” forever, one of the most perfect pop songs I’ve ever heard. God, “My Girls” sounds so different on vinyl coming out of nice speakers, and I’m now realizing that “Also Frightened” is there specifically to balance the first half of the record because going from a monster jam like “My Girls” to another monster jam like “Summertime Clothes” would just be too much. Oh, perfect. I am now stoned and listening to “Bluish” and want to fall into the grooves on the vinyl. I want to live inside of this record, I want this record to be my world and over the past few weeks I’ve been trying to do that. It’s a record of romance, it’s Animal Collective in love and an amazing album to fall in love to, to fall in love with, to discover new things that make you love it more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment