Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets

Brian Eno – Here Come the Warm Jets
E.G. Records, 1973
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2012
Price: $4



 















It was so strange that after two years working at HPB Lawrence, waiting for something cool like this to come in, it came in like a month before I left. I have NEVER even seen a copy of this album on vinyl. I didn’t even know what the cover looked like until I did this insanely cool record buy full of weird out of print psychedelic and prog rock stuff from the 70s. Let’s say I flipped a bit. I don’t buy records hardly at all anymore, but this one made me revert to my wanton, wholly irresponsible record buying early 20s. It’s a weird, weird, wonderfully weird record. It’s got these glammy, Bowie-esque tunes like “Baby’s on Fire” and “Needle in the Camel’s Eye” but then it’s got the spacey serenity of “Some of Them Are Old” and the stunning, magnificent, absolutely untouchable title track that sounds like this timeless piece of sonic art that will carry through the ages. It’s anthemic without really standing for anything, and that’s a beautiful thing. Jenny just said “It’s very artistic” and she’s right! She keeps asking “What is this?” and then “Here Come the Warm Jets” comes on and she goes “Oh yeah I love this song.” It’s hard to believe this record is 40 years old despite still sounding so fresh and modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment