Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

Iron & Wine – The Creek Drank the Cradle
Sub Pop, 2002
Acquired: One of Jenny’s like, Five Records, ???, ???
Price: $???

This one was inherited. A good one to inherit, too. I haven’t really listened to any of Iron & Wine’s albums post Our Endless Numbered Days, which seems really weird because I love Iron & Wine. Actually, I remember listening to the expansive the Around the Well b-sides & rarities compilation and hearing “The Trapeze Swinger” and thinking “Goddamnit why haven’t I listened to any of Iron & Wine’s new stuff?!” No rhyme/reason to that. None at all other than laziness. Fortunately, listening to this excellent debut LP is convincing me to dig up the MP3s. I know they’re floating around somewhere. Funny story, I haven’t really listened to this album very much either. I got into Sam Beam with The Sea and the Rhythm EP and somehow this one never spent that much time in the CD player. I’ve heard it a handful of times, and it’s great, I just for some weird reason never played it to death. Weirdly I’ve heard “Southern Anthem” a bunch of times, like up there with the songs of his I’ve heard the most. Must have been a KJHK staple. The one some intrepid music staffer put as the first recommended track. Still one of the more hauntingly beautiful albums from that decade gone by. An album that introduced us to one of the more infallible (though I haven’t really listened to any of his more recent albums, I know Sam Beam still receives constant praise) artists of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment