Saturday, July 20, 2013

Charlie Dold - "Any Poet's Dream" 7"

Charlie Dold – “Any Poet’s Dream” 7”
Bus Stop, 1991
Acquired: Love Garden Shotgun Room, Used, 2008
Price: $.25
 
When I was relieving Love Garden’s shotgun room of its alt-rock and college rock 7” records, Bus Stop was one of the labels that I was familiar with and I ended up buying every Bus Stop record I saw. The label was based out of Iowa City, and for some reason I thought Charlie Dold was from Australia when he’s actually from Urbana, Illinois. I have no idea where that idea came from. The tunes on this 7” are a little strange. They sound like they’re slightly sped up but I know they’re not. It’s just Dold’s high-pitched register. It reminds me a little of Gene Ween on the early Ween records. The songs are this odd blend of lo-fi underground rock with melodies that recall pretty much every band on the Valley Girl soundtrack (The Plimsouls, Sparks, etc). I’m just spitballing here though. The problem with the songs is that they’re all too long. Were they contained to two minute bites of lo-fi pop they would really work, but “Any Poet’s Dream” feels like it goes on for ten minutes and with Dold’s not exactly dulcet tones, it feels a bit agonizing.


No comments:

Post a Comment