Thursday, January 29, 2009

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

Andrew Bird – Armchair Apocrypha

Fat Possum, 2007

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2007

Price: $11



One morning I woke up and found out that my friend Cecile Hernandez had been killed in a car crash the night before. And then I had to go do a radio show and I hadn’t stopped crying by the time I got there and I just grabbed this because this album makes me feel better every time I’m having a bad day. I didn’t play “Fiery Crash,” although that’s the first thing I thought of when I grabbed the CD. It was a fucked up day. I played “Heretics” but I forgot the chorus goes “thank god it’s fatal, thank god it’s fatal” and then started bawling. I’d forgotten that part. The rest of the show was sad songs. Anyway, this record reminds me and will always remind me of 2007. It sounds like 2007, and in a good way. Something rooted in the not too distant past. It’s my favorite Andrew Bird record and I’m sad his new one, Noble Beast, isn’t laced with the perfect pop hooks that are on this one. The first few tracks on Side B after “Darkmatter” (which is another little jam) are tracks I usually skip, but Side A is flawless (even though I always think he’s singing “Whale fight, whaaaale fight” on the monster jam “Plasticities”). Five great songs, ending with the epic “Armchairs,” which I would probably include on a Top Songs of the Decade list. That part where it all builds and builds and he sings “you didn’t write, you didn’t call/ it didn’t cross your mind at all” destroys me.

No comments:

Post a Comment