Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now

Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now

Secretly Canadian, 2005

Acquired: Love Garden, New, 2006

Price: $14ish



I bought this record when I thought I was dying in Early 2006. This lasted a month before I went to the doctor and they told me I was fine and it went away. But during that time I was so afraid and I listened to this record and it made me feel OK. Even though I think it’s a terribly sad record, mostly because Antony’s voice just has that sadness built into it, I still find it to be an incredibly hopeful album. I recently listened to and reviewed his new record, The Crying Light, and I think it’s a perfect continuation and extrapolation on I Am a Bird Now. I still think I like this record more though, but mostly because it has more history. I forgot that “Fistful of Love” was his song and how good it is because Devendra Banhart covered it and I listened to that version more. God, what a jam. “Hope There’s Someone” is one of the few songs that has ever made me cry, too. I Am a Bird Now is a modern classic, and I can’t wait to see how it sounds ten years from now. I wonder how I will react to it, pulling it out of its sleeve and putting it on the turntable. And of course, this is another record I bought where the cover played a factor in my purchase. Seriously, so beautiful and perfect and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment