Thursday, January 29, 2009

Big Dipper - Heavens

Big Dipper – Heavens

Homestead Records, 1987

Acquired: Love Garden, Used, 2008

Price: $6



Though situated in Boston, this is Bill Goffrier’s band after the Embarassment. As far as I know, I should really have more 80s and 90s local music knowledge, that sounds like a good thing to do. But my first Big Dipper memory is when my Western Civ II professor Robert Vodika (he will come up again once we get to N) played a Big Dipper song before class once (he would do this, and then he quit doing it which sucked because he always played awesome shit that had to do with whatever we were studying that week). And then Merge put out a box set sort of compilation thing and then I found this record and really liked the cover and listening to it, yeah, this is just really perfect late-80s college rock. This makes me wish I’d been in college when college rock was at its finest. When guitar songs were still A-OK and super cool. This feels like one of those lost records that a small group of people LOVED in 1987 and then kind of faded into obscurity to be dug up 20 years later by some excited kid. The last two tracks on Side A, “Humason” and “Lunar Module” rule pretty hard and the first track on Side B, “All Going Out Together” is another jam. I feel like there’s some band these guys sound like but I can’t quite recall it. It’s just good!

No comments:

Post a Comment