Monday, July 4, 2011

Neil Young - Comes a Time

Neil Young – Comes a Time
Reprise, 1978
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2010
Price: $1.50

I’ve never listened to Neil Young with any seriousness. Sure, I have a couple of his records, and without going back to read those write-ups, I’ll guess I probably said something along the lines of “You know, I never seriously listened to Neil Young.” But I have always kinda liked him! BUT, I’ve never ever heard Comes a Time. Never once, except for this time right now. Maybe now that I’m becoming an adult, getting married and all, maybe I’ll have my Neil Young renaissance sometime soon. Unfortunately, this record is kind of fucked. The PHYSICAL record, that is. It cracks and skips a bit at the beginning of each side despite not displaying any obvious flaws. It’s just old, and used, and I got it at the store for cheap. The actual album is really great. His melodies are some of my favorites. They’re simple but hit exactly where they’re supposed to, like that chorus on “Lotta Love.” The songs sound rough in the best way. Like they came to be at the spur of a moment around a campfire or wherever. On the spot. “Human Highway” is the track I probably bought this record for, as I’m a big fan of Nick Thorburn and Jim Guthrie’s project that’s named after the song. And that song is excellent. Another simple and subtle melody that creeps its way in. Can’t wait til five years from now when I’m probably obsessed with this record.



No comments:

Post a Comment