Monday, July 4, 2011

The Misfits - Legacy of Brutality

The Misfits – Legacy of Brutality
Plan 9, 1985
Acquired: Half Price Books, Used, 2010
Price: $3

Happy Birthday America! To celebrate, I’m going to listen to one of your finest bands: The Misfits. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. OK, that’s not exactly true, but folks who like to dismiss the Misfits as mere novelty are sorely mistaken. The marriage of insanely catchy melodies and disgusting, brutal, and horrorshow lyrics could only have worked if the band followed through with their image and stage show, which was particularly ghoulish. The Misfits’ discography is really, really weird, and Legacy of Brutality is basically a bunch of songs from the Static Age sessions that had gone unreleased (on singles and such). Apparently, Glen Danzig overdubbed most of the album in an effort to avoid paying the other band members royalties, this being after the bands 1983 dissolution. Maybe that’s why these songs sound like alternate versions of some of my favorites. They still sound way good, though, although since most of these are on Static Age, which I already have, I can’t remember why the hell I thought I needed this. Oh yeah, my undying love for the Misfits. That’s why. It’s got the monster hits, it sure does. “Angelfuck,” “Hybrid Moments,” “Halloween,” “Where Eagles Dare,” “She,” “TV Casualty,” OH MAN! To be fair, if every record had a tune as good as “Hybrid Moments” on it, the world would be a better place because goddamn, goddamn, goddamn. Give me a list of my top ten favorite songs of all time and that one is firmly planted in the top five.


No comments:

Post a Comment