Tuesday, December 23, 2014

28 Days of Christmas: Blink-182 - "I Won't Be Home For Christmas"

I must have made half a dozen Christmas mixes in my teenage years, and every year, this song was track one. When you get down to the brass tacks of punk rock Christmas songs, you go back to the Ramones "Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight)" but I think it ends with "I Won't Be Home For Christmas." Because why would any other punk band bother, you know? For all the misgivings folks have about Blink-182 (the crass behavior, the lewd lyrics, the proto-broness) it's undeniable that the band operated from a place of pure joy. I never tried to hide the fact that Blink-182 was the reason I got into punk rock. In 2002, it was impossible to pretend. They brought the genre into the mainstream for the first time since Green Day and there you go. I don't like their music as much as I used to, but holy hell, this song never gets old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment