Sunday, December 21, 2014

28 Days of Christmas: My Chemical Romance - "All I Want for Christmas is You"


I'm the kind of person who would say "I don't believe in guilty pleasures" and immediately turn around and say My Chemical Romance is a guilty pleasure of mine. And I'm OK with that, because on a human level I know I contradict myself on a regular basis and I have no good words to explain the way I find My Chemical Romance both fiercely annoying and capable of writing some absolutely brilliant earworms and doing it with panache. It's complicated. One thing I won't do is call Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" a guilty pleasure, because it's second only to "Last Christmas" in my hierarchy of Ian's Favorite Christmas Songs. It's kind of an embarrassing song, and I admire how MCR just totally go for it. The results are a mess, but it's got so much energy and conviction that it's easy to overlook the clutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment